Sunday 12 February 2012

February 12th Crocus Creek






Wasn't that a beautiful full moon last week.  I went for my usual moonlit walk and enjoyed the spookiness of the my halflit surroundings.
I have been spoiling my mule deer . I know its warm I know they don't need any extra food.....but they eat the candy!!!!
a few of the 31 I counted tonite

I have been over thinking everything lately. So it is time to start acting and stop some of this obsessive thinking. I know where that leads and I would prefer not to go there....
I am going to find a choir to sing in as it has been a life long dream of mine to sing and in a choir would be wonderful.
I am going to get back to CURVES the place that helped me build my endurance and feel healthy 8 years ago. 
I am going to get massages , acupuncture or whatever I can to help this aching neck.  It hurts so bad it has become unbearable.
AND I think I have found 2 kittens for Charlotte. The lady I got Piper from came for a visit with a young man that has several available and in April two for them will be mine...I would like 2 orange ones and he has two ......but they must be males ...A male costs $150 to neuter and it is over $265 to spay a female cat.   so it only make sense ...After all I spent over $1500.00 on vet bills on my farm cats up to now. That's why Tom loves Charlotte so much now  ...but actually take $1500 divide by 5 equals 300. Had 3 for most for those years so 300 divided by 3 equals 100 . Hell that is only 100 a year for mouse and gopher catching duties.....If they will just quit leaving the little dead critters on my step...(shows they appreciate me!!!)
Anyway I am going to do these things... For me..

I went for a quad ride today over in to the back corner of our land., It is in the back corner where our land meets the park that things are most natural. It is time for the bucks to lose their antlers and we had seen a few without so decided I would walk a few of the ravines and look for any they might have dropped back there.
Not everyone knows but deer grow and lose their antlers every year. At about this time every year they lose the antlers they have been carrying... then a new antler starts growing almost immediately. The bucks go into seclusion at this time of year because as the antlers grow they are soft bone covered in blood filled hair"velvet".They continue to grow in mass and height throughout the spring and summer. IN the early fall there is a hormonal change and the velvet reaches a stage where it can peel off.  After that the antlers are hard and they scrape them over and over on trees posts etc. to not only get all the velvet off but to mark their territory, The antlers become bigger as the buck gets older and then they get smaller after the buck reaches his peak . The antlers are weapons when the rut"mating season" is on . There are many viscous fights and many deer end up with deep scars from these fights for dominance. Some deer lose their lives due to a stabbing blow or others meet their fate when antlers get locked together and can't come apart.

I didn't find a single antler but what I did find was it was absolutely beautiful day to walk in the hills. The snow was shallow and the wind non existent when I was down in the valley. A hawk flew up in front of me totally surprising me as they are not usually here at this time of year.. With the weather we have been having it probably will be common as I venture out more and more.



My daughter is going through a trying time with health issues...again .
I appreciate all your prayers for her to get help quickly this year and to heal even faster....
Love you Kimmy!!


 


No comments:

Post a Comment