Monday 23 April 2012

5 minutes

Sometimes I need to slow myself down...Ever notice how fast paced life is today?

 I spent a lunch hour with my son last week.... his life is always on fast forward and when I asked him if he was able to breathe while he shovelled down his food ...he realised maybe he really needed to taste his food before it hit the organs.......I have begged him lately to slow down a little and take some time to enjoy his life....we will see how that goes...
I was in line in a gas station the other day. There was a little elderly man at the front of the line...I am guessing he was about 85...my dads age. He was paying for his gas and buying a lottery ticket with his debit card. There were several of us in line and I was right behind the fellow.  I couldn't help but consider the changes this man, who was slowly inserting his debit card carefully and diligently into the machine....had encountered throughout his life...especially the pace of life and what it would mean for him and for others in his situation. He took his time and I glanced back at the line....seven or more people...Some seemed irratated, others bored with being in line. One guy about my age's eyes met mine as I studied the faces behind me.. He smiled a seemingly  understanding smile at me as he glanced toward the elderly man still slowly entering his PIN.  After about 5 minutes he set the machine down and slpwly pulled his card out returned it to his wallet and thanked the young ,releived ,cashier. It took him .about ..5 whole minutes and it had effected everybody in line. We all had to slow down ..it was obvious that some were angry , others were just uncomfortable with a few minutes to actually just be......and then those of us that  were able to take in the fact that this person that was putting all of our brakes on ......really didn't mind if we were waiting...... He was doing what the needed to do in his own time...



I walked out of that gas station and made a conscious decision that I was going to do my best to apply my brakes a little more often..
Have I succeeded ? Not regularly by any means and when I do make the effort to slow down there are usually lengthy  skid marks indicating just how fast I need to be going before I slam my brakes on.....

That elderly fellow taught me that day while the rest of the world is speeding around it really isn't necessary for me to do the same. Life goes on realtively the same if we slow down and take the time to live.  For him it seemed to be natural  just the way it was to be ...he wasn't  frustrated he wasn't struggling he was just taking his time...and all of those people in line...they had to slow down as well .......for 5 minutes ..

No comments:

Post a Comment